February 5th, 2012
Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Fort Rodd Hill and the Fisgard Lighthouse are National Historic Sites of Canada. The fort was in use from 1878 to 1956 (the concrete structures that can be seen today were first built in the 1890’s) and was one of a series of forts that provided coastal artillery protection for the city of Victoria (the capital of British Columbia) and the nearby naval base in Esquimalt Harbour (which is still in use today by the Canadian Pacific Fleet).
This fort was originally part of the vast British Empire’s chain of defensive forts around the world (remnants of such forts can still be found in other places like Australia, New Zealand and Singapore). The last British troops left the fort in 1906 (the last stationed in all of Canada) and then Canadian forces took over the responsibility of defending the harbour. Fortunately…
View original post 384 more words